Friday, February 10, 2012

2/6/12-2/10/12

I started reading Dave's book Total Money Makeover before I took this class. I started budgeting in about November. I use the envelope system. My college savings went straight into my savings account, and then I had envelopes for the rest. The envelopes I had were: gas money, food money, Alaska mission trip savings, church offering, and miscellaneous expenses. Using the envelope system has really helped me because if I were to reach into a different envelope to purchase something that the money isn't supposed to be used for, then I would feel guilty. Guilt stopped me from overspending in any certain category.

Dave talked about a ton of different forms this week. I think those forms could really help when trying to make a budget the proper way. I liked the way the forms have the percentage breakdown for how much of your income will be going to what. I like to know where my money is going, and what it is going to. I don't like the idea of just "I owe 106 dollars in insurance this month" I like to know "I owe 636 dollars for 6 months, and this is the breakdown..."

No comments:

Post a Comment